Friday 5 April 2013

Dobu #1 and my workspace.

Due to the response from people about "Dobu : The Infinite" issue #0 experiment, I have decided to make, issue #1. I think the whole Dobu series will be around 6 comics in total each 24 pages long with approximately two stories in each comic. The first issue might be a bit longer just so you can see what you are getting into. Here is one of the pages from Dobu #1 "Lonely Dobu / Intergalactic Daydream".

Issue #1 "Lonely Dobu"
So I have had to setup a workspace, with a nice piece of laminate board, a cartoon animation paper clip, lots of electrical tape and an old business card box to hold pens and pencils all of this is leaning on an easel. I have everything I need to draw. It is a far cray from the professional drawing tables that I have seen comic and cartoonists use but you got to start somewhere and this is definitely a step up from leaning on a hardback book on my lap. I have even made a rolling ruler out of some LEGO and wheels until my "real" rolling ruler and other equipment arrives.


From the pencil and inked drawing go to the scanner, neatened up in Adobe Photoshop and coloured in, it is a nice, easy and enjoyable process. I am making about one to two pages a day, so all going well, I should have Issue #1 finished by the end of the month.

I am thinking I am going to need to buy a font for "Dobu" and looking around think "Blambot's Silver Age" to be the most suitable, so I will need to save some pennies for a license for it. It is a really good font, and I think it is definitely needed for the project. Check out their cool fonts through the banner below.


That is it for now, time for pizza and then more drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment